Good quality carpets represent a significant investment as far as the majority of home and business owners are concerned, which is why tips and tricks on keeping them in first-class condition are always in demand. As experienced professionals with many years of experience in the Perth carpet cleaning industry, we thought it would be a nice idea to share some of the secrets of the trade with local residents who wish to protect their investment in high-quality floor coverings. While there really is no substitute for a professional carpet cleaning service every once in a while, you can significantly increase the useful lifespan of your floor coverings by following the suggestions below.
Industry Tips from the Perth Carpet Cleaning Professionals
As with many things in life, the key to success as far as keeping your carpets in excellent condition is concerned is consistency. If you want to ensure good results, follow the advice in this section on a regular basis, not just when your carpets happen to look a little dirty or threadbare. Preventative action is always more effective and, when applied consistently over time, can make a real difference to the appearance and longevity of carpeting in both residential and commercial properties.
- Vacuum Every Week – Even if you make a habit of taking off your shoes before entering your home or office, it is important to vacuum your carpets on a regular basis if you want them to look good for many years to come. In addition to removing small particles of dirt that could otherwise permanently soil your carpet, regular vacuuming can reduce damage to individual fibres by eliminating abrasive debris that is often difficult to spot with the naked eye. The frequency of vacuuming should be determined by the amount of foot traffic and other conditions specific to individual locations but even if your carpets look perfectly clean, a light vacuuming on a weekly basis is advisable.
- Deal with Spillages Immediately – A wide variety of liquids have the potential to cause irreparable damage to quality carpets but by dealing with spillages as soon as they occur, you can minimise this potential and ensure that your carpets provide you with many years of pleasure. Whether you drop a glass of red wine or a carton of milk, the key to protecting your carpet lies in the speed with which you deal with the resulting mess. Some people instinctively reach for the most powerful detergents when faced with major spillages but in most cases, plain tap water and attention to detail is all that you need. Resist the urge to scrub the affected area as this will only result in the offending liquid being forced deeper into the fibres of your carpet. Instead, use a damp cloth to absorb as much of the spillage as possible before introducing more water to dilute the remaining liquid and rinse it out.
- Do Not Wait for Accidents to Happen – As we mentioned earlier, preventative action is always more effective when it comes to keeping your carpets in excellent condition and this applies to the activities that you participate in at home, not just your regular cleaning regime. In other words, try to anticipate how accidents that have the potential to damage your carpeting could occur and take steps to prevent them so that they never actually happen. For example: if there are children in your house and they often eat snacks in areas of your home that are carpeted, consider asking them to restrict their snacking to the kitchen and other rooms in your home with flooring that is easy to wipe clean. If you have a pet dog, you can either confine it to the yard, with its own covered bedding area of course, or keep its hair as short as possible, in order to minimise the mess caused by seasonal moulting.
- Use Vinegar and Club Soda on Stubborn Stains – If your carpeting is damaged by a liquid spillage that goes unnoticed for days or even weeks, you may still be able to restore it to its former condition by applying a solution of vinegar and club soda to the affected area. Use a spray bottle to apply the mixture, such as you might use to dampen your tops before ironing them, and then leave it to sit on the stained fibres for 10-15 minutes. As when tackling fresh stains, you should use a blotting action to remove as much of the vinegar and club soda solution as possible. What you should find, is that the stain is lifted out with the solution. Use a small amount of plain warm water afterwards, to remove any remaining solution from your carpet. Whether you are able to get rid of the stain completely or simply make it less obvious will depend on the nature of the stain and the carpeting in your home.
- Hire a Professional Carpet Cleaning Team Every Year – If your carpeting is subject to heavy foot traffic and receives more than its fair share of dirt and grime, you may need to increase the frequency of visits from your friendly Perth carpet cleaning experts but we recommend making it an annual occasion at a minimum. It may feel like you are wasting money by having your carpets cleaned professionally every year but in the long term, you will probably save a significant amount, thanks to the longer lifespan that your flooring enjoys.
If you have any questions about the tips in this article or you would like a firm quotation for carpet cleaning in Perth, please do not hesitate to pick up the phone and talk to us during business hours. Alternatively, complete the contact form on our site and we will call you back whenever convenient. We are committed to helping our customers get as much use as possible out of their domestic and commercial carpets and would love the opportunity to help you restore your carpeting to its former pristine condition.